[sdiy] UK VAT (was Re: Breaking news: synthCube to acquire Small Bear)

Mike Bryant mbryant at futurehorizons.com
Mon Jan 10 21:32:15 CET 2022

I think you both may have been lucky so far.

I applied to the relevant ministry for an exemption from the import charges because I don't sell finished product, just IP, and it was made quite clear that that means by their rules I'm not actually even trading and so I have to pay full VAT and tax on all the prototype loaded PCBs I import from China.  Bit pissed off at being classified as "not currently a commercial entity" given the amount of tax they charge me each year on my IP licencing income !!

COMMERCIAL SAMPLES

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pay-no-import-duty-and-vat-on-importing-commercial-samples

 On checking the notice I would draw your attention to the section "Who can get relief".  As xxxxxxx Limited is not currently a commercial entity within the UK, then they would not qualify.