[sdiy] Dispersive Karplus-Strong

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 20:32:23 CET 2022

I think the normal K-S algorithm already has a pure delay (with a whole number of samples) in series with an allpass filter (to give a fractional sample delay.)  Otherwise you're limited to quantised pitches if you have to only use delay lengths that are an integer number of samples long. So I guess the normal K-S algorithm is dispersive to some extent.

Incidentally you can tell if the harmonic series is stretched by looking at consecutive periods of the waveform. If every cycle looks just like the next cycle then all of the harmonics are integer multiples of the fundamental. If the harmonics are slightly flat or sharp you get little ripples that ride along the waveform from one cycle to the next. The waveform looks like it "evolves" with time.

-Richie,

---- cheater cheater via Synth-diy wrote ----