[sdiy] Some Audio DSP prototypes

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Apr 20 15:20:00 CEST 2022

> On 20 Apr 2022, at 11:13, Neil Johnson via Synth-diy <synth-diy at synth-diy.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Tom wrote:
> > This happens all over the place, not just Windows. Witness the fairly
> > recent dropping of PIC ASM by Microchip.
>
> Richie wrote:
> > WTF!  Is this some kind of joke!?
> > Can you elaborate or provide a reference for this Tom?
>
> Vladimir wrote:
> > sorry for top posting, I guess he refers to this:
> > https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1145168.aspx <https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1145168.aspx>
>
> And Microchip wrote:
> MPASM to MPLAB XC8 PIC Assembler Migration Guide (microchip.com) <https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/MPASM%20to%20MPLAB%20XC8%20PIC%20Assembler%20Migration%20Guide%2050002973A.pdf>
>
> Neil

Yes, that's the one. The original PIC ASM / MPASM compiler has been dropped, and you now have to use XC8. Which is hopeless by comparison, in my view.

+1 agree with Roman that the migration guide is useless. It implies that you just make a few simple syntax changes and recompile. That's not the case at all. There are significant structural changes. Absolute code is no longer accepted at all, for example - it must all be relocatable. Operator precedence has gone, so statements  using those need serious rewriting (and testing/debugging) all over again. etc etc.

The really crazy part is that this affects all Microchip's own code too. In one fell swoop, because they could be bothered to invest in making a 64-bit compatible version of PIC-ASM, they made years of examples in all their documentation obsolete and unworkable.