[sdiy] Some Audio DSP prototypes

mskala at northcoastsynthesis.com mskala at northcoastsynthesis.com
Wed Apr 20 14:54:32 CEST 2022

On Wed, 20 Apr 2022, Ingo Debus via Synth-diy wrote:
> On my day job, I had written programs for the 8051 (only 256 bytes of RAM!
> Certainly not more powerful than a PIC) in C for many years. In fact, C can
> be easier on RAM than assembly language, since in assembly there’s no such
> thing as local variables.

For at least some architectures, Microchip ships the GNU C compiler with
the optimizations crippled and demands a subscription payment (paid to
Microchip, not to the original authors) for uncrippling them.  That is
ideologically distasteful to me, and it also means users who don't pay up
are unlikely to be getting code out of it superior to what a human could
write.

I can't agree with "no such thing as local variables."  I use local
variables (allocated on the stack, the same way a compiler might) in my
assembly code.  I wish the debuggers supported them better, but that's not
a limitation of assembly language as such.

--
Matthew Skala
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.