[sdiy] Some Audio DSP prototypes

Brian Willoughby brianw at audiobanshee.com
Sat Apr 16 09:45:10 CEST 2022

On Apr 15, 2022, at 21:56, Vladimir Pantelic wrote:
> On 4/16/22 3:21 AM, Brian Willoughby wrote:
>> A few hundred MHz on a DSP architecture is more than enough to compete with general purpose GHz CPUs, and then you don't have to source expensive ARM-A chips.
>> Brian Willoughby
>
> yes, but sadly most of the DSP chips have a lot of "DSP", but lack a lot of the "MCU" that MCU chips have. a few times I looked into using a DSP, but found that I would need a lot of external components or yet another MCU to get back to all the features I had on the MCU alone

Good point. There are certainly appropriate features for connecting to audio CODEC and other DAC or ADC chips. I got lucky, working with an 12-bit ADC chip with four GPIO pins that can be reported along with the conversion, plus the handful of GPIO on the DSP itself. The TMS320 actually has a Status Register bit that is directly output on a dedicated pin, which is really handy for low-impact debugging. The TMS320VC5506 has USB capability as well.

However, if there are a great deal of operations to perform, such as driving an LCD or reading a giant button matrix, then it's really popular to pair a DSP and MCU. Usually, they're separate chips (which I find tedious since there are two firmwares to develop and load), but Texas Instruments has the OMAP chip series that combine ARM and TMS320 DSP in a single package. Those are beasts that I've never needed.

Brian Willoughby