[sdiy] Issue with CD4024 Ripple Counter

David G Dixon dixon at mail.ubc.ca
Tue Sep 21 21:41:27 CEST 2021

Tim, I'd rather just solve this problem, rather than devote my life to it.
I don't design logic circuits very often (obviously).

To answer Roman's question, why only use 2 bits of a 7-bit counter, this is
because I "inherited" this circuit from Ken Stone, and that is what he used,
and I never saw a reason to change it.  I could use a 4013, but I'd probably
have the same clocking issues -- I obviously have some deep problems in my
clock circuit, so I'm going to use this as an opportunity to finally learn
something about that.  I'm going to play with the debouncing circuit a bit
to see if I can at least sort that out.  I'll also play with and RC on the
CLOCK pin (I tried a 100pF cap with the 10k resistor, but maybe I need
something else -- people are suggesting 33pF, so I'll start there).

The 4024 is supposed to have decent noise immunity on the CLOCK input, which
I would assume to mean that if I can't see anything on my old Tek scope,
then it shouldn't be a problem.  I guess I don't understand what "noise
immunity" means.  I thought it meant "immune to noise" but I guess it means
something else.

Also, I could understand if there was multiple clocking on a noisy
comparator output (but my comparator has hysteresis).  However, what I don't
understand is that there is NO clocking on what is clearly a very nice
negative clock transition, and what appears to be single clocking on the
positive transition.  How would those two things relate?  It's like you're
telling me that the patient may be having a heart attack, but he's
complaining about a broken leg.