[sdiy] MIDI I/O c code..

Dave Brown davebr at modularsynthesis.com
Fri Mar 20 07:13:06 CET 2020

In 2005 I wrote a MIDI processing program to do minor manipulation such as transposing notes, changing CC messages, etc. I did it in assembly in an 8 MHZ ATTINY2313. Receive and transmit are interrupt driven out of 32 byte buffers each. It handles running status and can filter out some of the real time messages. It will take everything I can throw at it with two hands on the keyboard. It is highly optimized assembly but I suspect your issue is not emptying the buffers fast enough.

I also run this same code on a 16 MHz Basic Stamp which does have I2C D/As which do take some time so care has to be taken. The same code on an Arduino runs about 4.5X faster because the I2C is handled in hardware whereas on the Basic Stamp it is done in software.

I found my Tektronix scope with I2C decoding capability invaluable in seeing where my bottlenecks were in all the communications. Even without that capability I would often use an external pin to create timing signals so I could accurately measure code execution. But I’m a hw guy by nature.

FYI

Dave