[sdiy] Cleaning scratchy pots

sleepy_dog at gmx.de sleepy_dog at gmx.de
Mon Jan 6 20:31:26 CET 2020

While I was advised once to avoid most contact cleaning sprays like the
plague with regards to pots as they tend to be corrosive or otherwise
harmful to pots in the long term, one guy told me of his success with a
spray called:

"Tuner 600" by manufacturer Kontakt Chemie, looks german but I saw it @
farnell uk:

https://uk.farnell.com/kontakt-chemie/tuner-600-200ml/cleaner-tuner-600-200ml/dp/800958

/... is a quick-drying Precision Cleaner for all sorts of contacts. Its
gentle cleaning power makes it particularly well-suited for use on
rubber, graphite conductors and high frequency components. It dries in
seconds, leaving no residue.//
//Cleans Dust, Oily and Greasy Residues from Potentiometers and Linear
Regulators//
//Applications//
//Consumer Electronics, Computers & Computer Peripherals, Communications
& Networking//
/
I used that maybe 5 years ago, on a stereo volume pot (which gets lots
of movement) of my early 1990's Technics hifi audio amp. The pot had
some smalls holes somewhere on the sides, i just sprayed it in
everywhere, generously.
So far, that pot has not had any scratching noise issues, let alone dead
spots, anymore whatsoever.

- Steve