[sdiy] 3.5mm panel jacks?

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 22:00:31 CEST 2019

Thonkiconn's are aka PJ398SM-12.

Second most common are so-called "Erthenvar" jacks, PJ301BM.

Usually they're both PCB mounted, the Erthenvar type have lugs for tip &
switch, but only tabs for ground connections.

I laid out a simple "chiclet" that will use either for the panel mounting
purposes for my Elektor Vocoder (the project on Muff's), and sold a bunch
to Synthcube, but I don't think he has them up in his shop yet.  It's a
pretty trivial thing to lay out though, and small so even Osh Park is cheap
enough.

The old Euro standard was Kobiconn TS mono jacks, 16PJ138, main reason it
changed is because the Thonkiconn drops the ground connection to the PCB
for you; Kobiconns were strictly intended for panel mount, so the ground
lug is just a little stub off the side.  However they have lugs in all
three positions, might be easier for panel wiring.... Available at Mouser
and most other parts suppliers.

I haven't been doing this long enough to have a strong "long term quality"
opinion about any of these options.  I like the Thonkiconns, and everyone
else seems to as well.  The only jacks I've heard bad things about are the
Clif jacks, but they're a completely different type, very much unsuited for
panel mounting.

Pete