[sdiy] buss/rework wire

Sarah Thompson plodger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 14:49:24 CEST 2019

The common approach is to use kynar-coated wire wrap wire. This should be
stripped before soldering, not soldered over. Staked down properly this is
spaceflight certified by NASA, so it's good enough for me!

You can still get the wire easily, though I suspect that hardly anyone
actually uses it for wire wrapping any more. I used to use it a lot when I
was at NASA because kynar is vacuum-certified, so I used to use it to make
temporary wiring harnesses for testing instruments in vacuum chambers. I
generally would always solder it under a microscope in order to be certain
of good joints, however, because it's usually a bit fine to see with the
naked eye well enough to do a proper inspection.

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 10:27 PM Eric Frampton <eric at ericframpton.com> wrote:

> Hi folks -
>
> Just to put a button on this thread, I think what I saw was the RoadRunner
> wire with the meltable/self-fluxing coating. At least, that fits the
> description best.
>
> Thanks for all the guidance!

[s]