[sdiy] More new Alfa chips - CEM3394

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Sat Apr 6 16:20:21 CEST 2019

I hadn’t really checked out the detail of these latest releases until now, but there’s some really interesting stuff. Totally agree with Tom, they’re doing good stuff.

I’d like to highlight a couple:

AS3363: described as a three-channel VCA/voltage polariser.
This provides two VCAs with both a four-quadrant and two-quadrant CV input. So you can control a signal from non-inverted through zero to inverted, and you’ve still got an independent input to control its volume as well. And there’s two of those. Then there’s the third one, which is a two-input crossfader/mixer thing, again with a separate control input for volume. It’s a crazy chip and I’ve never seen anything like it. What exactly you could use it for I’m yet to work out, but it’s certainly interesting.

AS3364: This is a linear-control version of the AS2164
Given the number of times the Gallo-Irwin circuit gets used to make a linear VCA out of the 2164, this is an excellent idea. Now you get four of them on one chip (instead of two linearised VCAs per 2164) without needing the extra op-amps. Fantastic idea. Having the option of linear or log control by choosing the chip you need is great.

Tom

       Electric Druid
Synth & Stompbox DIY