[sdiy] Oberheim Xpander logic chip question

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Nov 30 13:22:46 CET 2018

Yes, as it happens, I got sent a pinout for the new “extended” or “enhanced” AS3372E chip by Alex this morning!

For people who haven’t seen it, they’ve added a pin allowing a direct input to the filter as well as via the two mixer VCAs, and they’ve added a pair of separate VCAs driven with inverted CVs for panning the output. The rest seems to be as per the CEM3372. It’s a lot of synth voice on one chip: 6 VCAs (two mixers, master volume, resonance, two for panning), 4-pole filter, expo convertor.

They’ve also done an AS3394E, which gives the CEM3394 a similar treatment.

Very nice to see them flexing their design muscles a bit and producing chips that we’ve not seem before. That’s another step forward.

Tom.