[sdiy] speaking of tantalums...

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Fri Nov 30 00:28:52 CET 2018

On Nov 26, 2018, at 11:54 AM, Ingo Debus <igg.debus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 26.11.2018 um 06:29 schrieb Michael E Caloroso <mec.forumreader at gmail.com>:
>> Smallest capacitance per cubic inch, when the race was on for more
>> compact packages.
>
> I remember back in the eighties many datasheets of high-quality analog ICs (Burr Brown comes to mind) had a recommendation like „decouple every power supply rail with a 10 uF tantalum and a 0.1 uF ceramic capacitor". This was certainly not because of the smaller size or leakage of tantalums vs. electrolytics. Maybe ESR or inductance?
>
> Ingo

It’s not even necessary to go back to the “ancient” eighties. As recently as the last decade, I’ve seen modern data sheets specifically recommend tantalum capacitors. If I recall correctly, those were all power bypass. I don’t remember any audio signal path examples recommending tantalum (but they’re not as much of a problem there anyway).

Brian Willoughby