[sdiy] Mind blown -- TL074 saturated outputs different

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Nov 28 17:08:40 CET 2018

> On 28 Nov 2018, at 07:06, David G Dixon <dixon at mail.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
> Does everybody else know about this and I'm just finding out about after 10
> solid years of electronics?

I came across that a few years ago when doing some experiments to see if I could use the saturation voltage level as a useful way to limit the voltage going into a PIC’s ADC. After all, if you know you’ve only got 13.5V max coming from the op-amp, a resistor divider is enough to get you into a 0-5V range, right? Well, maybe. I discovered it wasn’t quite that simple. However, I also discovered that as long as you stick a series resistor in to limit current through the PIC’s internal protection diodes, there’s no problem either.

Tom

       Electric Druid
Synth & Stompbox DIY