[sdiy] speaking of tantalums...

Adam Inglis 21pointy at tpg.com.au
Tue Nov 27 08:06:25 CET 2018

Many thanks for everyone's input and experience.

I use a Hakko 808… kinda old school and fairly chunky. The PCB tants were easy, but I stopped there. The traces on this machine are much more fragile than the stuff I’m used to working on (mainly Roland stuff).
The machine belongs to a nomadic friend - I’ve been babysitting it for nearly 15 years! I was happy to do the work as a favour to my friend and whoever the future owner is, but maybe it’s a little risky without better equipment.

Anyway, J wires and bus bar are cleaned, and she’s passed the magic smoke test. Sounds fabulous even without a calibration (last calibrated maybe 5 years ago when I replaced the bushings).
A few videos here (bottom of page) of the insides and in action for anyone interested..

http://www.adambaby.com/tempdownloads <http://www.adambaby.com/tempdownloads>

Adam