[sdiy] speaking of tantalums...

Tom Bugs admin at bugbrand.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 22:37:50 CET 2018

As a very quick check I looked at Panasonic FC caps I use for low ESR
applications & compared with a similar spec tantalum at Mouser.
The FC range gives ESR measurements both at 20deg & -10degC - it appears
in all cases to double with the 30 deg fall (I didn't see if this was a
linear relationship)
The Kemet datasheet presents a much less clear note - measures in the
datasheet are given at 25degC with a note & graph about ESR temperature
readings later in the catalogue which is pretty hard to deduce, but I
think shows that a doubling of ESR would happen over more like 75-100
degrees.
Possibly not of much interest/relevance, but I'd never looked at such
details before - probably should check a few more manufacturers too,
though really I've sworn off tants.
The Panasonic FC caps I quickly checked (10u 25V) are a bit lower ESR
than the tants.
Tom

On 26/11/2018 21:18, rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk wrote:
> Yes, high CV density, and also stable ESR over a range of temperature.
> By contrast Aluminium Electrolytics exhibit a rise in ESR at low
> temperatures. Something to do with reduced electron mobility in
> electrolyte when it gets near to freezing temperature I think is the
> explanation?
>
> -Richie,
>

> On 2018-11-26 19:54, Ingo Debus wrote:
>>> Am 26.11.2018 um 06:29 schrieb Michael E Caloroso
>>> <mec.forumreader at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Smallest capacitance per cubic inch, when the race was on for more
>>> compact packages.
>>
>> I remember back in the eighties many datasheets of high-quality analog
>> ICs (Burr Brown comes to mind) had a recommendation like „decouple
>> every power supply rail with a 10 uF tantalum and a 0.1 uF ceramic
>> capacitor". This was certainly not because of the smaller size or
>> leakage of tantalums vs. electrolytics. Maybe ESR or inductance?
>>
>> Ingo

BugBrand LTD
UK company No. 07199808
VAT No. GB 988 2629 57