[sdiy] speaking of tantalums...

Tom Bugs admin at bugbrand.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 12:50:49 CET 2018

I'm not quite so sure - mainly in reaction to the view that replacing
power line tants could be seen as hot-rodding.
I don't think it is - I think it is sensible precautionary mesaures
given the larger problems that can occur when tants do fail.

Though, of course, if it is currently working I do think you're right to
suggest leaving it for the new owner.
& this is all ignoring the possible variances in quality of
repairs/tech-work.

Tom

On 26/11/2018 11:33, Tom Wiltshire wrote:
> +1 agree with this. I’d pick the instrument that had been messed about with *least* too.
>
> If the next owner thinks it is something that they would like to have done, then they can do it or find someone who can. Unless you think there’s a significant bonus on the price if you put “recently serviced and tantalums replaced” in the advert, I wouldn’t bother. Somehow I don’t think it’ll make enough difference to cover the time.
>

>> On 26 Nov 2018, at 03:47, rsdio at audiobanshee.com wrote:
>>
>> I’ll put it another way, which has nothing to do with my experience repairing these old synths, arcade machines, computers, and other electronics…
>>
>> If I were looking at two Prophet 5 Rev 3.3 units, and had to pick one to buy: I’d pick the one that hadn’t had someone in there prematurely replacing caps. Since you’re wanting to sell this thing, I say leave the choice to the next owner. It’s like a vintage car - there’s a much larger market for the original, stock models compared to the street hot rods that have been souped up.
>>
>> If you were going to keep this P5r3.3, I’d say that the choice is yours. Otherwise...
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> On Nov 25, 2018, at 7:33 PM, Adam Inglis <21pointy at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>>> Brian, I do take your point, however, I’m careful and my Hakko desoldering gun works quickly.

BugBrand LTD
UK company No. 07199808
VAT No. GB 988 2629 57
1 Ninetree Hill