[sdiy] speaking of tantalums...

Adam Inglis 21pointy at tpg.com.au
Mon Nov 26 04:33:50 CET 2018

> On 26 Nov 2018, at 12:36 PM, MTG <grant at musictechnologiesgroup.com> wrote:
>
> What was the original voltage value on the caps (and which rail)?  Just trying to see how much "headroom" SCI had on their tant cap voltage spec, in light of the recent discussions.

From the SM, these are all the tants in a rev 3

0.22 uF  35 v     x1
2.2         25v      x16
10         10v       x5
10         25v       x7
10          3v       x5

not all these will be decouplers, apparently some are in the audio path. (Grant, I’m not sure yet which is which)

I’m inclined to go with Greg’s numbers - they’re pretty compelling!
Sure, normally, I agree with the “aint broke” philosophy, however it appears that tant failure tends to take out valuable and hard to find chips. (A couple of years ago, I had to replace the DAC. Very expensive process, and the first one I bought was a dud/fake. These are getting very thin on the ground…)

Brian, I do take your point, however, I’m careful and my Hakko desoldering gun works quickly.