[sdiy] speaking of tantalums...

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sun Nov 25 23:54:09 CET 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 08:39:30AM +1000, Adam Inglis wrote:
> I’m getting a Prophet 5 rev 3.3. (no midi) ready for sale. I’m wondering if I should be replacing the tantalums in it. They seem to be considered a ticking time bomb. One site I came across suggested replacing the decoupling tants with low ESR electrolytics, I assume you just use identical farad values:

I wouldn't say you'd even need low ESR, since it's not a switched-mode
power supply and the frequency of any ripple is going to be low.  You're trying to shunt (relatively) low frequency noise to ground, rather than deliver great whacks of current.

I wonder how many of its 0.1μF disc ceramic decoupling capacitors have
turned into 1k resistors?

--
Gordonjcp