[sdiy] speaking of tantalums...

Adam Inglis 21pointy at tpg.com.au
Sun Nov 25 23:39:30 CET 2018

I’m getting a Prophet 5 rev 3.3. (no midi) ready for sale. I’m wondering if I should be replacing the tantalums in it. They seem to be considered a ticking time bomb. One site I came across suggested replacing the decoupling tants with low ESR electrolytics, I assume you just use identical farad values:

"Our rule of thumb is that if one side of a Tant has a raw power rail from the power supply on one terminal and Ground at the other, then replace it with a low ESR electrolytic. Simples!
There are 19 of those in a Prophet 5 that we replace, 8 0n the CPU board, 7 in the power supply, 3 on the Voice card, and 1 on the left side of the front panel pcb, a mixture of 2u2 and 10 uFarad.

One other side of the Tant is that it has very low leakage, it doesn’t dribble its charge away with the gusto of most Electrolytics, there are a couple of Tants involved in the Battery backup system for the presets, they have never failed and have never been replaced, but if they were replaced by Electrolytics I would suspect that the lifespan of the new battery would be reduced considerably due to unnecessary capacitor leakage."

Anyone experienced with these machines care to comment?

Adam