[sdiy] Oberheim Xpander logic chip question

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sun Nov 18 05:54:32 CET 2018

Lag is always software on the Xpander.

Look at the manual, on page 22.

HARDWARE includes the two VCOs, VCF and VCA per voice. Those hardware modules each have multiple CV inputs, but there’s nothing in hardware to directly route or generate or patch the CV from anywhere to anywhere.

SOFTWARE includes the LFOs, Envelopes, Tracking Generators, Ramps, and Lag Processor. Other software-handled components include CV inputs, MIDI Velocity, Pressure, Pitch Bend, Vibrato, and Control Changes. Basically, everything that generates or modifies a “Control Voltage” is handled in software. Only the final CV value is converted to analog at the hardware destination point. The patching isn’t done in hardware, because each CV output is dedicated to a specific function like VCO pitch, but modulation is done by moving values around and combining them before sending the final calculated value to the DAC for a particular CV channel.

When you apply Lag Processing on modulation that is connected to the VCO and/or VCF, those CV values are modified in software according to the Lag parameters, and then the final value is converted to an analog voltage. So, while you can apply Lag to the oscillator and/or filter, it’s not a hardware lag processor.

By the way, the only capacitor and resistor circuits you’ll see in the schematic that are anything related to lag are the smoothing caps on the individual DAC outputs for each CV. These are software controlled so that initial values can jump to a new value instantly, but updates to the CV that should be minor changes will be filtered to smooth the transitions. All of this assumes the standard “sample rate” where CV outputs are updated on a regular basis. These particular RC circuits cannot be tuned for any other Time Constant other than the one matching the firmware rate for the CV updates. You can turn them off completely for an update, or turn them on, but you cannot change the RC Time Constant. In other words, these smoothing caps can’t used for creative lag processing.

I’ve been meaning to look into the code to see whether the initial Attack value can or does use the ability to defeat the smoothing. The Xpander doesn’t have an initial Envelope Level, like some other synths, but an Attack time of 0 should produce an instant increase in CV, scaled by the VCA amount corresponding to the Envelope. People complain that the Xpander has slow envelopes, so I’ve been curious whether the hardware smoothing is defeated when an envelope is triggered. At the very least, I think it’s used for VCO pitch, but I don’t know whether it’s used for all CV outputs at the start of a new Voice Note.

Brian Willoughby