[sdiy] Korg SDD-3000 5 volt supply problems

Adam Inglis 21pointy at tpg.com.au
Thu Nov 15 10:12:10 CET 2018

Thanks all
Replaced all the tantalums - no fix.
Barry’s advice reminded me I really should have a current-controllable bench supply (instead of messing around with wall-warts and regulator ICs!), so I got one and did some tests with it.
The digital board seems fine when run from the bench supply.
Disconnecting a few things on the PSU, I supplied the 7805 with 10 volts from the bench supply, and hung a dummy load of 1 w resistors off the 5 v output of the PSU.

With 7.8 ohm resistance, the 5 volt rail was pretty steady. With 6.7 ohms, the bench voltage shut down. So about 700mA seems to be the breaking point.

That would seem to leave a 1000uF electrolytic, a 0.1 uF disc cap, and a diode that could be suspect. I’ll get back to it tomorrow.