[sdiy] Tantalum manufacturing / assembly failures OT?

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Wed Nov 14 23:52:56 CET 2018

Thank you.  That presentation is *very* interesting indeed.  The failed
capacitors I witnessed weren't from Kemet but they are based on the same
technology from a similarly well known brand manufacturer.

The bit about what they consider an acceptable voltage de-rating factor is
very interesting!  So basically a 25V "rated" device is only good for 12.5V
service if you want an acceptable failure rate at initial power up and in
the following 1000 hours of service.  And this is before you take into
account any degradation due to exposure to reflow temperatures during
assembly / rework, and any further degradation due to possible electrical
design issues such as voltage transients, current ripple, etc. if they were
to exist.

I'm used to generously spec'ing the voltage ratings on ceramics because of
the nasty voltage-coefficient effect in high-k ceramic caps, but had no idea
that Tantalum caps needed that much safety margin on their voltage ratings.
I guess I'm more used to aluminium electrolytics that run quite happily near
their rated voltage, and are even characterised to tolerate significant
over-voltage surges for many seconds without damage!

-Richie,