[sdiy] AS3320 VCF chip - some queries

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Nov 12 10:45:33 CET 2018

I’ve done some more experiments and had some success.

I noticed that the Sequential Pro-One uses a buffer between the output and the resonance VCA. In fact, it’s not just a buffer, it has a gain of x3.4.

I was thinking of adding a differential mixer to add in some of the input signal to the signal fed back to the Resonance VCA to provide a volume-drop compensation. So I did, and gave this mixer a little bit of gain (x2 in mine).

Big improvement! Not only do I now not have a volume drop with increasing resonance, but the oscillation signal level is constant across the whole range. Checking the Pro-One again, its resonance is also very stable in level across the whole frequency range, and this must be why they added that buffer. I’ve always wondered what it’s for!

Thanks,
Tom

       Electric Druid
Synth & Stompbox DIY