[sdiy] AS3320 VCF chip - some queries

Andrew Simper andy at cytomic.com
Mon Nov 12 03:13:37 CET 2018

Good point about the main filter caps David. Two other things to watch out
for to make low frequency self oscillation happen with filters:

(*) make sure any DC blocking caps in the resonance signal path are well
out of range of where you want the filter to self oscillate down to,
otherwise the phase and gain changes can throw off normal resonance
(*) make sure you use good buffers between stages to not drain out the
current from your caps.

With the 3320 the buffers are on chip so this makes things more difficult
if they are causing the issue. Do you know what they are? If they are a
part of the problem then one way to mitigate it somewhat would to use
larger valued caps, and then likewise increase the cutoff current so the
relative drain of the buffers is lower, but this may impact the highest
cutoff you can get.

Cheers,

Andy