[sdiy] Linear VCF control

Tom Bugs admin at bugbrand.co.uk
Fri Nov 9 18:01:27 CET 2018

I think a few have cropped up recently in Euro (but I can't think of names)
If the VCF is based around an OTA then it is often fairly easy to add
linear to the usual sort of matched-pair exponential converter - not
sure how that'd help with temperature compensation though.
Somehow I don't think I ever actually tried it though.

On 09/11/2018 16:53, Mattias Rickardsson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> following the recent discussions about temperature compensation of
> exponentially VCFs, one could imagine that the easiest way of avoiding
> the temperature dependence would be to control the filter linearly
> (Hz/V) instead of exponentially. I can't remember seeing it done in a
> VCF, though. Even if there are VCOs with linear control in currently
> produced synths - the latest example might be the Moog One if I'm
> correctly informed.
>
> A quick search in the SDIY archives returned some hits in an
> interesting old thread called "Filter frequency cutoff with linear
> response?" from 2012, where Olivier Gillet, Florian Anwander and Tom
> Wiltshire pointed out that the CEM3394 has linear filter FM from the
> onboard VCO's triangle wave via an onboard modulation VCA. The
> datasheet of the CEM3394 describes it some more. I remember liking the
> filter FM in the Akai AX-60, and this was it. It still relies on
> exponential VCF in the regular filter CV input though.
>
> PAiA Fatman was mentioned as having linear control of both VCO and
> VCF. Any other pure Hz/V filters out there? Or do people consider it a
> genuinly bad idea (except for the lack of V/oct CV input and the need
> of increased CV resolution/precision in the lower frequency range)?
> The bonus possibilities of linear FM might make it worthwhile. :-)
>
> /mr

BugBrand LTD
UK company No. 07199808
VAT No. GB 988 2629 57