[sdiy] Yet more questions: best VC drive approach

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Nov 9 01:45:20 CET 2018

I’ve pencilled in designs using OTAs for this. After all, it’s specifically a voltage-controlled (ok, current…) gain element, so it’s pretty much ideal, limitations notwithstanding. Since it can be used like an op-amp, you could take a “tube screamer”-style design and adjust it for an OTA in place of the op-amp.

Alternatively, the V2164 can provide up to 20dB of gain, or more with gain in front of it (e.g. use attenuation to get to unity) which would give you another option potentially with lower noise.

There’s plenty of options for CV-controlled overdrive/distortion/fuzz.

(My background in this: Big Muff with CV -

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/?page_id=1484

)

HTH,
Tom