[sdiy] universal drum machine interface

Adam Inglis 21pointy at tpg.com.au
Tue Nov 6 02:12:39 CET 2018

Brian
thanks for drawing my attention to this.
I’ve put it back up on the bench and poked around with a scope. I’m fairly sure that the pulses and polarities I’m using are pretty close to what that part of the circuit sees with the internal triggers.
Since the purpose of the interface is to trigger analog drums, I didn’t actually consider this as “circuit-bending” but I suppose there is a bit of that here!

Tony
for this machine, the best trigger pulse shape for most voices is “Open Rectangular”

The manual has this to say about the pulse shapes:

"Additionally various pulse shapes can be selected for each output: Rect- angular, Triangular, Decay, Gaussian and Open Rect. The latter is similar to the rectangular pulse, with the exception, that instead of returning to zero volts, it goes into a high impedance state. This allows it to make use of the characteristics of an existing pulse shaping network, such as an RC network built into the drum machine. The pulse shapes have different sonic characteristics, experimenting which suits best is recommended. The Gaus- sian pulse for example contains less higher harmonics and can be used to simulate drums hit by a felt headed mallet. "

In certain voice circuits you can certainly hear the difference between the Gaussian and the others. Between the others the differences are very subtle. At least, in the CR-8000.
The two trigger points I moved were Clave and Low Tom.

Adam