[sdiy] Protection Device?

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Wed Jun 20 01:29:56 CEST 2018

The PIC does already have clamp diodes.

My original schematic for the Druid VCDO chip specified external protection diodes as discussed. When we (me in collaboration with Frequency Central) actually released DIY boards for this project, we didn’t include the protection diodes and upped the series protection resistor to 4K7. So far (5+ years? I don’t remember any more), we’ve never had a report of a dead module from an over-voltage input. So op-amps are one way and do have a number of notable benefits like Olivier said - scaling, mixing, and the ability to add a specific offset being chief amongst them. But a “simple” solution can at least be robust too, if not quite as sophisticated.

That said, I’d entirely recommend the op-amp solution for all the reasons given - scaling, mixing, an offset, and some filtering into the bargain. What’s not to like?!

Tom