[sdiy] MIDI volume to volts formula

Adam Inglis 21pointy at tpg.com.au
Thu Jun 7 03:07:11 CEST 2018

> On 7 Jun 2018, at 4:48 AM, Ben Bradley <ben.pi.bradley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On the other hand, I think a piano is a roughly linear function of
> input velocity (or force) and "signal" output. This may require
> "original research."

There must be a stack of research out there, possibly some of it in-house/proprietary by the big instrument makers, regarding this.
I would’ve thought you be better served by a sinusoidal function, rather than log or linear, but of course it is going to depend mostly on the qualities of the particular tone or patch you are controlling at any one time (even more than personal playing style).

e.g. Page 21 of the E-mu Ultraproteus manual shows the eight velocity response curves deemed important to that synth.

Adam