[sdiy] Magnifier Lamp with Roller Stand

Phillip Gallo philgallo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 09:41:22 CET 2018

Ottlite:

Yes Tony the desk lamp provides "natural light".  I don't do a lot of
printed graphics but when i do it's fun to compare LED, Fluorescent, and
Filament light sources.
The Ottlite is always the right choice.   I have on occasion used the lamp
for general purpose when weary and late at night as it "seems" less taxing
to use.

After my initial post, i realized i also have another Ottlite which i use
for it's amplifier as well as light at a keyboard practice and casual DAW
station.

https://products.ottlite.com/p-456-led-bluetooth-speaker-lamp-with-usb.aspx

Not personally an Ottlite obsessive, (although a certain quilter just may
be) these lamps bubble up at our local COSTCO store at inexpensive prices,
and in 3 cases we bought them.

In General:

I agree with Ben in general but my experience has been that illumination is
very important and will alter the evaluation of your method of
magnification.
My construction bench has a powerful LED trumpet lamp overhead and a
smaller LED lamp that throws across the bench area.
This uncouples the magnifier of choice from the the illumination of choice.

I've tried a lot of different bench magnifiers.  Regardless of approach,
its a feeling of being trapped in a myopic little world.
I'm surely not alone in remembering the distant past of bench and
inspection work without glasses, lenses, and a bath of illumination.  Ah
well...

The classic "fat" rim fluorescent magnifier on the spring loaded folding
cantilever is clunky, demands a lot of working area, makes creaky noises,
and often obscures or impedes some of the work area.
Paying this price, they do work and i'll use 'em when i gotta but i don't
have any in use.

Presently i have a goose neck magnifier with a slim rim LED circlet.  It
stays out of my way and works ok.
It has it's own issues in that LEDs are not as generous in terms of angle
of illumination so it is often noticeable that the illumination is less for
the portion of the view which is dead center of the magnifier.
Rockler Woodworking doesn't carry it anymore but this looks similar:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Magnifying-Peachtree-Woodworking-PW4054/dp/B0048J325Y

Since i have no choice but to use a magnifier, this is the one i use.
The described illumination makes this setup just fine by me.

regards,

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>