[sdiy] IR Reverb

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 11:13:29 CET 2018

I'll second this. Convolution reverb using partitioned FFT Convolution is quite a complex algorithm. Get it working on a proven and familiar platform first.  Even if this isn't powerful enough to run in real time, you can still assess the quality implications of Engineering tradeoffs etc, by running WAV files of drum loops, vocal samples or whatever through the algorithm and then listening to the output files.

Then worry about specifying and designing an embedded system to run it once you've got a baseline algorithm that actually works.

In practice there might be a bit of iteration because optimisations for a particular embedded platform will likely be different to your chosen "comfort zone" desktop evaluation platform. But at least you will have gained familiarity with the algorithms from working on your desktop prototype first.

Diving straight into developing a Convolution reverb on a high-end embedded DSP platform might be a steep learning curve if you don't have a few simpler DSP projects already under your belt.

Also, depending on why you're doing this and your personal motivations, you might find that once you get Convolution reverb working on the desktop in non-realtime you don't actually like the sound, or the excitement of the challenge has gone away once you achieve this milestone. In which case, well done, you've learnt a lot along the way, and saved yourself the price of a high-end DSP board and Dev tools.

-Richie,

Sent from my Xperia SP on O2

---- Jay Schwichtenberg wrote ----