[sdiy] SMD soldering technique

charlie wallace charlie at finitemonkeys.com
Fri Mar 24 04:30:00 CET 2017

i use solder paste with a water soluble flux, personally for me no
clean is a pita especially if people have to handle the boards
afterwards.

drop the paste on the pad, drop the part on the paste, solder it with
an iron, hot gun, or hot plate, use an  under-board heater to help
with thermal shock and it makes a lot easier to work with too.

i fill up a small syringe with a metal luer lock every so often, use
that up and put the rest in the fridge.

we use the amscopes that are around  $100 or under (they're often on
sale), the R-P type,,though i have the trionocular boom one for when
lots of work, and an ebay'd mantis which is awesome.