[sdiy] Where to get capacitor and resistor kits?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Thu Mar 23 10:20:44 CET 2017

I'm sure they use paper tape everywhere they can, because it should be cheaper. But you can't put chips in paper because they're too thick. A few of the larger capacitors come in plastic, so I think it must be the size of the part that is the primary determining factor.

You really only need to be concerned with this if you have a pick-and-place machine, because they need a specific mechanism for each size of tape. I pay other people to do SMD, so they worry about this - not me. However, the assembler usually is happier if I buy at least ten or a dozen extra parts so that they have room to get the tape fed into the mechanism - and that process usually eats a handful of parts.

Every data sheet has specifications for the available tape options. Chips will often be available in a tray or a tape, and it depends upon your assembly process as to which one you want. Mouser typically carries every option, and the price can vary. My poor assembler has to adapt to whichever version I can find cheaper in the quantities I'm buying. I only do prototypes anyway, so they don't complain for small runs. When a product goes to full manufacturing, the story changes significantly.

Brian