[sdiy] hobbyist hardware DSP - choosing a platform

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Thu Mar 23 09:38:06 CET 2017

Yes, nearly every significant product that has DSP is based on SHARC or TMS320. Even Pro Tools hardware has migrated from Motorola 56k to TMS320.

The BeagleBone Black is TI, but strangely enough it is not based on Texas Instruments' OMAP chips, which combine ARM and TMS320C6000 DSP. TI have $49 ezDSP boards with DSP and audio jacks, but I'm surprised that TI doesn't have a BeagleBone color with DSP - am I missing something?

It's possible to leave the DSP assembler to open source libraries - at least for the TMS320 - and write everything in C. Just make sure that the assembly libraries can be called from C and you're good.

Brian