[sdiy] New release of Audio Weaver Lite for ST Discovery boards

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh1 at cox.net
Thu Mar 23 01:04:20 CET 2017

Brian,

I absolutely understand the utility of something like this - I'm
pragmatic enough to know that there are times when you need to trade
efficiency of implementation for ease of use, and situations where the
task is simple enough that you can throw a bunch of legos at it instead
of figuring it out from first principles.

I've also seen situations where tools like this were oversold or
misapplied - management thinks that they can get their product built on
time and under budget by letting a gang of inexperienced folks push
pretty blocks around on a GUI and then gets mad when the final result is
crud. That's not a failure of the tool though, but of the business process.

Terry has been around the DSP block long enough to have seen this too so
I'm sure that he's A) not producing a crappy tool and B) making sure
that his customers apply it appropriately. Given that the basic version
is free to use on ST processors I hope that it spurs a lot of interest
among those interested in doing DSP on that platform. I also hope that
when (not if) someone finds that they've reached the limits of the tool
that they have the time and curiosity it takes to step over that limit
and try something new.

Eric