[sdiy] Dead TL072

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Mar 20 12:32:51 CET 2017

I actually managed to kill a TL072 the other day. It started to get warm, then hot, and finally it burned a small hole in the chip package and that was that.

I checked everything over and the circuit it was in was not the cause. Instead it was a chip that I've abused for much too long and it finally gave up the ghost. I have a few TL072s in a piece of antistatic foam that I use for breadboarding, and some of them have been in this role for years - possibly 20 years - so they've really taken a beating one way or another.

I'm impressed that they're as tough as they are. That's the first time I've ever seen a op-amp melt.

Tom