[sdiy] [Electronics_101] Where to get capacitor and resistor kits?

cheater00 cheater00 cheater00 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 11:00:46 CET 2017

Hi Brian,
I thought if I buy a kit I shouldn't invest a lot since I'm just a hobbyist
and I'll never in my dreams use up, say, 100 of most values. In a few years
the parts will have found a way to become obsolete anyways. My main reason
to get a kit of some sort was to have a few values around on hand to mess
about when trying things out - if a project needs a special value, size, or
kind, then i can order it as you say.

I wasn't aware of the issue with moisture absorption by SMT parts. That is
a very important consideration. What is the shelf life of such parts in a
"pill box" enclosure, stored in a normal home environment? Does storing the
parts in the tape they came in remove this issue completely? What about
"pre-baking" parts before you use them? What if you stored your parts
case/book in a vacuum zip lock after every use? What if you used some cheap
gas to get rid of moisture before putting in a vac bag for a longer time -
could that be practical? Say using dry nitrogen as used for hvac?