[sdiy] [Electronics_101] Where to get capacitor and resistor kits?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Mon Mar 20 01:39:35 CET 2017

On Mar 18, 2017, at 2:59 AM, Neil Johnson <neil.johnson71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> cheater00 cheater00 wrote:
>> Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys. That should keep me occupied. For smd resistors and C0G caps, what range of values would you buy? What size? 0603?
>>
> Sorry, but I've forgotten what the original objective was.
> Is this for building kits?
> Or development/prototyping?
> Repair work? (I noticed you cross posted to other groups - that's generally frowned upon).
>
> Assuming synth diy development and prototyping then I would stick to through hole parts. E12 resistor series (metal film 1% 1/4W) with two values per drawer fits into one 36 drawer unit. Capacitors I suggesting buying as you need them - there are too many types to sensibly consider holding stock of every combination.
>
> For SMD just buy as you need them. Don't buy cheap parts.

I tend to agree with Neil. There's no sense buying assorted parts when you can get the exact parts you need when you have a design that you want to build.

Another issue to be aware of is that SMD parts should be used "fresh" - they absorb moisture over time, and this can cause serious problems with you bake the PCB in the oven as part of the surface mounting process. If you try to buy assorted values, some will be used right away while others just sit and might cause problems if used much later.

Also, in my experience, the "standard" values are not that useful. 90% of my parts are custom values, tuned to the project at hand. Mouser has great prices even on the custom values, so there's no sense buying a lot of standard values to just have them sit, when you can order custom values at the same low prices.

Brian