[sdiy] (OT) Preventing digital noise in audio out of a "2 PCs -> 1 audio amp" with USB box

sleepy_dog at gmx.de sleepy_dog at gmx.de
Sun Mar 19 20:40:40 CET 2017

Hey,

the whole box is of steel, and the TRS and RCA jacks I had inevitably
conenct to the case, which in turn, apparently through the rotary
switch, connect the USB GND to the case as well, so it looks like I'm
stuck with that. The wire I wound around the aluminium foil to fasten it
and get contact, I soldered to one of the RCA jacks' GND connector.
Oh. It could be that the other end of the DIY shielding connects to the
opposite wall of the case as well, by touching the audio 2-way switch's
case, which, I believe, is electrically connected to the threaded end
that is mounted through the front "wall" with electrical contact.

All audio jacks are screwed into the metal case rather close to each
other, so I guess there should be very direct GND paths between those?
They would certainly not have to go through "USB territory", judging
from my naive understanding of such things.

Steve