[sdiy] Odp: Re: Analysis of the TB-303 CPU timing

Colin f colin at colinfraser.com
Fri Mar 17 18:08:07 CET 2017

> That's exactly the point of this test.
> People claim that nothing sounds like a 303 because nothing has the same
> processor of the 303.  If people can't hear the difference in 4 CPUs designed
> to be listened to, then that's another step closer to calling it nonsense.

Demonstrating that people can't hear the timing variations of a 303 in isolation proves nothing, other than that people can't hear the timing variations in isolation.
It would be like saying that multiple DCOs with a common clock sound exactly like multiple free-running VCOs after listening to static saw waves from each in isolation, and not considering the behaviour when more than one oscillator is playing.
I'm not saying the 303's timing definitely does make a difference.
Just that the scope of this test is narrow.

Cheers,
Colin f