[sdiy] Odp: Re: Analysis of the TB-303 CPU timing

Colin f colin at colinfraser.com
Fri Mar 17 09:59:25 CET 2017

> I stayed up late last night and made some more Went with some classic
> patterns and some non musical straight 16th note stuff that should show
the
> theoretical differences more.
> http://chipmusik.de/survey/index.php/355721
>
> But so far I guess my gut feeling was right about the "magic 303 groove"
;-)

The problem with this test is that you are listening for timing variations
in isolation.
Timing differences in the range of ~1ms are inaudible to us, because they're
in the range of inter-aural delays which are used for spatial location.
While a jitter of even 2 - 3ms in an isolated sound is inaudible, when you
hear it against another, more precisely timed sound, it becomes more
obvious.
You would also be better to do a double blind test, using something like
WinABX.
If I get a few minutes today, I'll make a recording of the method I use to
demonstrate the tempo/irq clock interaction.

Cheers,
Colin f