[sdiy] Open source (Off topic, was Re: No more updates to Tempest firmware)

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Tue Mar 14 22:43:05 CET 2017

I'm not sure I agree. Why shouldn't they share the "proprietary code"? "Proprietary"  is just a way of saying "owned" e.g. not public or shared, isn't it? So it's only "proprietary" because they choose to keep it so.
After all, sharing it doesn't stop them from using in the next product in any way shape or form. In fact, DSI might find that other people make improvements to it that they'd never thought of, or would never have had the resources to do (everyone says Tempest, although a greta box, could use some further bug fixes and improvements from what I understand). In which case, they could continue to produce Tempest hardware (let's not forget that this Open Source OS is only useful on one single proprietary product that you need to pay DSI money for - and that's all good) and people could put some amazing code on it, or better still, people could put whichever amazing code they fancied on it.

Frankly, I don't really understand why manufacturers haven't seen what's happened with the chip/OS upgrades for some vintage/classic gear which has given them new lease of life and multiplied second-hand values to some incredible degree. That could be your product, and it could be now, and you could still be making them, while the user community does the (hard) software work for you! How is that not a good thing?! Imagine you were Roland producing Jupiter 6's and the Europa mod came out? Wouldn't you embrace it? How many more Jupiter 6's would you sell?

I think manufacturers need to step back and take a much bigger-picture view of this. If they did, I think they'd see that a more sharing relationship with their user base might pay dividends financially.

Tom