[sdiy] OT: Where to get cheap ESD safe electronics parts drawers?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sun Mar 12 03:05:55 CET 2017

On Mar 11, 2017, at 4:10 PM, Tom Wiltshire <tom at electricdruid.net> wrote:
> On 11 Mar 2017, at 21:02, Andre Majorel <aym-htnys at teaser.fr> wrote:
>> I've stuck TTL ICs into little pieces of black foam kept in
>> ordinary plastic drawers but I'd be hesitant to do that for
>> CMOS. Now, I keep ICs in wooden drawers, in foam or tubes cut to
>> size. Wood might be an insulator but it doesn't seem to be as
>> prone to build-up of electrostatic charge as untreated plastic.
>> (Talking about plywood and solid wood here, not melamine-covered
>> particle board.)
>
> I started out playing with CMOS and a 9-volt battery when I was a kid and I'd never even heard of static precautions. I never killed anything by static, but I grant you that the UK has a pretty damp climate…
>
> I think the risk of chips dying from static is somewhat overplayed. It's a good way to sell you more stuff, and perhaps in a production environment where you're handling thousands each day the numbers start to stack up, but for an individual? Seems unlikely.
>
> I'm quite willing to hear why that's all nonsense though.

I grew up and learned electronics in North Carolina where it is quite humid. My first CMOS project was an ADSR from a Polyphony magazine / PAiA schematic, and it was also the first and only electronic project I ever built that did not work. Previous projects were all transistors and op-amps, and this was the first time I had to take care of static discharge - which I failed to heed.

My experience says that static sensitivity is nothing to scoff at, unless you have plenty of money and time to waste. Handling is risky. It's not so much that you need lots of expensive anti-static paraphernalia - you just need to make sure that you ground your body before touching any exposed circuits.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting