[sdiy] OT: Where to get cheap ESD safe electronics parts drawers?

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Sun Mar 12 01:10:48 CET 2017

On 11 Mar 2017, at 21:02, Andre Majorel <aym-htnys at teaser.fr> wrote:
> I've stuck TTL ICs into little pieces of black foam kept in
> ordinary plastic drawers but I'd be hesitant to do that for
> CMOS. Now, I keep ICs in wooden drawers, in foam or tubes cut to
> size. Wood might be an insulator but it doesn't seem to be as
> prone to build-up of electrostatic charge as untreated plastic.
> (Talking about plywood and solid wood here, not melamine-covered
> particle board.)

I started out playing with CMOS and a 9-volt battery when I was a kid and I'd never even heard of static precautions. I never killed anything by static, but I grant you that the UK has a pretty damp climate…

I think the risk of chips dying from static is somewhat overplayed. It's a good way to sell you more stuff, and perhaps in a production environment where you're handling thousands each day the numbers start to stack up, but for an individual? Seems unlikely.

I'm quite willing to hear why that's all nonsense though.

Tom