[sdiy] OT: Where to get cheap ESD safe electronics parts drawers?

Andre Majorel aym-htnys at teaser.fr
Sat Mar 11 22:02:05 CET 2017

On 2017-03-11 11:00 +0100, cheater00 cheater00 wrote:

> I've finally carved out enough space, time, and money to set up an
> electronics lab, and so I'm looking for something to store parts. A
> nice drawer wall would be nice. The cheapest I can find is hundreds of
> dollars or euro for a tiny rack. That's pretty crazy for a bunch of
> plastic... I understand the necessity of tight control for a heart
> pacer manufacturer, but I'm just not the target market here. Where do
> I find something like this inexpensively?

I've stuck TTL ICs into little pieces of black foam kept in
ordinary plastic drawers but I'd be hesitant to do that for
CMOS. Now, I keep ICs in wooden drawers, in foam or tubes cut to
size. Wood might be an insulator but it doesn't seem to be as
prone to build-up of electrostatic charge as untreated plastic.
(Talking about plywood and solid wood here, not melamine-covered
particle board.)

http://www.vermason.co.uk/ have anti-static cardboard boxes.
Maybe they're cheap enough for you.

> Speaking of which, what plastics are ESD safe? A table here
> says that plastics that are filled with carbon powder or fiber
> are fine. But it's a bit confusing, saying the same kinds of
> plastics are also conductive:
>
> http://www.plasticsintl.com/esd.htm
>
> Is there any popular kind of plastic i could search for to know the
> vessels are dissipative?

Most plastics are excellent insulators so anything but
dissipative. I'm guessing that the "least bad" would probably be
polyamide aka nylon as it's so hygroscopic. I seriously doubt
that it would come anywhere near "dissipative", though.