[sdiy] Formant filters, yay!

Florian Anwander fanwander at mnet-online.de
Fri Mar 10 09:59:27 CET 2017

And just something more "fishy" about synthesizing vowels or vocoding:

What does mean "a" or  "o"?
"A" in which language Japanese or English? Which dialect: Edinborough or
London? Which local slang: North or south of Wandsworth Road?

I think vocoders or voice imitating filters will sound very different,
because they were developed  by engineers, who speak different languages
and who are used completely different vocalisations. If an english
person pronounces an "o", it sounds to german ears more like an (german)
open "u". Dieter Doepfer is born in Frankonia and speaks his "a" more
open. The Dynacord engineers sit in Lower Bavaria, their "a" is dark and
tends to be an "o".  How sounds the A-129 compared to a SRV-66? Ok, I
know the SRV-66 is originally a dutch syntovox 222. But I think you get
the principle:

If an engineer tries to optimize a vocoder for vowels, or tries to
create a vocal filter, he will optimize his design for his imagination
of the vowel, and his device will sound in the vocalisation of his
language fine, but will fail with some other vocalisations.

Florian