[sdiy] Formant filters, yay!

Richie Burnett rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Thu Mar 9 19:12:04 CET 2017

I'm a bit suspicious of those tabulated formant values...  The f3, f4 and f5
formants are all very close together, and those combinations of centre
frequency vs bandwidth result in some pretty high Q values!  Maybe they are
right but something seems a bit fishy about them to me.

Also, if those "Amp (dB)" values are the amplitudes of the formant peaks in
the frequency spectrum, then they may or may not take into account what the
excitation waveform was.  If you go about making a filter bank and drive it
from a sawtooth oscillator for example, the sawtooth waveform will already
have a -6dB/oct rolloff to it's spectrum before you start boosting and
cutting areas with the formant filters.  Something to bear in mind.

-Richie,