[sdiy] the obscure output of a 2164

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 15:54:15 CET 2017

Mattias Rickardsson rote:
> On 9 March 2017 at 07:53, David G Dixon <dixon at mail.ubc.ca> wrote in
> his nice beefy 2164 description:
>> However, be careful about using 2164s in parallel, as they will not retain
>> independent control (I learned this the hard way as well).
>
> Interesting, what kind of problems have you encountered here? :-)
>
> I've used parallel 2164s for years and never noticed anything strange.

You can parallel up the outputs as they just pump whatever current
they want into the virtual earth node.

You CANNOT directly parallel the inputs though - the internal feedback
paths within the 2164 end up fighting each other and then bad stuff
happens (latchup, oscillations, etc).  You need some isolation between
the inputs if you want to run multiple 2164 gain cells in parallel.

Neil
--
http://www.njohnson.co.uk