[sdiy] the obscure output of a 2164

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Thu Mar 9 11:26:36 CET 2017

Others have given you more technical (and accurate) answers, so let me give you a couple of hacky pointers.

You can treat the 2164 like a inverting op-amp. You have input resistors feeding into the 2164's input (and you can use as many as you need, like an inverting op-amp, so you can sum signals into the 2164).
Then the actual op-amp and feedback resistor come after the 2164 (this arrangement is called an I-to-V convertor if you want to look it up).

There's a basic gain of Rfb/Rin, just like for an inverting op-amp, but since this is a VCA, the actual gain depends on the control voltage.